[xen-tools] Re: Feature request

C.J. Adams-Collier cjcollier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:53:58 CEST 2007

On 10/2/07, Steve Kemp <steve at steve.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue Oct 02, 2007 at 08:31:29 -0700, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see some work on taking advantage of LVM's snapshot
> > functionality.
>
>   My understanding is that currently LVM + Xen is broken, and
>  has been for a long time.  Taking snapshots of paused/running
>  Xen guests *will* cause your dom0 problems.

Eep.  Sorry for (again) not being clear.

The origin would never be assigned to a domU.  It would be created
only for the first instance of a given distribution and then left
alone.  If anyone mounted or modified it, they would do so at their
own peril.  This pristine image could then be used as an origin for
all consecutive images of that role/os/what-have-you.

>   The xen-users archive is full of reports, and until that is
>  fixed I'm not sure there is too much point going down this
>  road.

Yeah.  I would never recommend taking a snapshot of a running domU.
Bad juju there.

>   (Though I agree it would be nice to have; I use LVM personally
>  so cloning / installing / copying via snapshots would be nice
>  to have.)
>
> > Look, they even mention Xen in that page :)
>
>   :)
>
> > I'm not foisting this on you, Steve, I'm just writing it down so I
> > don't forget that it needs to be done.
>
>   :)
>
> > Do we have a TODO wiki or something?
>
>   TODO in the cvsrepository is the closest thing to it.  There is
>  wiki support on trac installed on xen-tools.cvsrepository.org,
>  but I didn't expect there to be much use and disabled it rather than
>  deal with spammers.  I'll enable it later today..

Cool.  Shall I add a patch to the TODO?  Do you feel comfortable
adding me an account at this time?  In case you do, I'll attach an ssh
pub key.

> Steve

Cheers,

C.J.